keithforum.com

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unloading Speed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:55 pm 

Question: I have a walking floor unloading system in my trailer and I haul loads around the Phoenix and southwest area. My problem is that it seems to take forever to unload a 48 ft trailer. I mean somewhere between 10-15 minutes. When I have 5-10 stops per day, it is way too long. I am thinking about getting something else like a belt trailer.
Is there any way to speed these unloaders up? What about a belt trailer? Do you guys sell these belt trailers?
Mike

Post subject: Re: Unloading Speed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:55 pm 
KEITH®service

Hello Mike,

To answer your question, if everything on your wet kit was built to our spec's and the trailer has a KEITH Running Floor II drive unit with 3" cylinders you should be moving product at the rate of 12.5' per minute. That would make unload time about 6 minutes. Now if the trailer has 3.5" cylinders the time to unload may be 8 to 9 minutes.
One thing about a belt driven trailer is the volume amount you can haul is less.
We do have a salesman in that area that would be happy to come visit you (at no charge) and see if he could help you. Please let me know if this is something you think might help, and I will get you his contact information.

Tom Doggett

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:30 pm 

Hi Tom,
So you are saying with your system I can unload between 4-6 minutes? I talked to my mechanic on Saturday and he says I don’t have a keith system in this used trailer. Can I still go faster? What is the fastest speed I can unload my 48 ft trailer? Ball park
Why would I need a 3.5” cylinder system?
How do I get a hold of your salesmen for our area? Does he live in Arizona?
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:18 pm 
KEITH®sales

Hi Mike,
Even with a competitors system if your pumping 30gpm you should get un unload speed of 6.61 ft per minute. Our local rep for your area is Jack Skidgel and he can be reached at 503-705-4155. You would only need 3.5" cylinders if it's a tri-axle trailer or your hauling in excess of 35 ton payloads.
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:19 pm 
KEITH®engineer

Hi Mike,

Since you don't have a KEITH system, I would suggest that you refer to your owner’s manual and follow the recommendations of the manufacturer for the wet kit set-up. As Bob stated previously, I think you’ll find unloading speeds of around 6.5 feet/minute as the maximum.

Next time you're looking for a trailer don't forget, with a KEITH Running Floor II, 4-6 minute unloading times are very common. Our recommended wet kit set-up will give unloading speeds of 12 feet/minute, or greater, with a 3" system. With your high number of unloads per day, that would really help you get the turn around times you need.

Ken Stout
Keith Mfg. Co.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:44 am 

Thanks for the input Tom, Bob and Ken,

I am still unloading in approximately 13-15 minutes. We timed it again yesterday.

That is pretty impressive if I can unload my 48ft trailer with your system in 4-6 minutes. Basically twice as fast as what i am currently doing.

I appreciate the help and I will call Jack in the future when I am looking for another trailer. In the mean time, I will see what we can do to get this one moving faster.

I appreciate you help. Thanks,

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:56 am 
KEITH®service

Hi Mike,

No problem, hope to hear from you again.

Thank you
Tom Doggett

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:18 pm 
KEITH®president

Hi Mike,

If you are still looking at this web site you might want to check out the link below.

http://www.keithwalkingfloor.com/docume ... er_SAE.pdf

On the second page of the flyer, it shows the unloading speed for our RFII unloading system. It takes about three minutes to unload a 45 ft (13.5 meter) trailer. In most cases, that is more than faster enough. And certainly faster than you are unloading.

Our RFII system has been capable of high performance/high speed unload for over 20 years. It a matter of oil flow and frame structure. Make sure you buy the right system.

I hope this helps.

Mark